Friday, March 25, 2011

Unit 2 reflective letter

Tim Mattson
Jeremy Brandstad
English 102
27 February 2011
Reflective Letter

In the beginning of this unit I was unsure on how what I would write my question on. By doing all the exercises in class and talking to other people about their work it became very simple. Everything just seemed to fall into place by the end of this unit. I had some technical difficulties with the website. Sometimes the solutions to problems were right under my nose but it always took forever to find them. As an example when I was trying to change the background of the picture, that took me forever to figure out. All I had to do was click in the right spot to change the background color. I ended up taking a few hours just trying to figure some way to change the html code for the color. Instead it was so simple. Of course this is expected when using technology it usually never works the way you want it to.

My research strategies have changed drastically. Ever since we learned about finding an article and then looking at those articles sources, it’s great. I keep asking myself why I never thought of that myself. It’s obvious, but no one ever thinks about checking the sources. I started to use this tool and I noticed my time I take researching on the topic is cut by about 40%. That’s a lot more time that I could use doing something else. Wikipedia can be a good source finder. I would never use the information off of Wikipedia. I would use the sources that were listed on Wikipedia. With Wikipedia anyone can change the information but the sources are cold hard facts most of the time.

The way I write and think about my audience has changed a lot since the beginning of this unit. I use to never think about what my audience cared about. I would only think about what I thought was funny. For example if I was going to add a picture normally I would add the one that I thought was the funniest regardless of the vulgar language. When I was working on the website, I saw many pictures that I wanted to added. Then I stepped back and thought twice if I should add them or not. Yes, they were probably funny but what kind of am I giving to my reader? I would always think about what we talked in class. Would this picture distract my reader? Would this picture make my reader not want to read what I have to say anymore? My different outlook on my audience has changed the way I consider what to add.

With the different course readings they have been helpful in forming how I finished the unit project. I have received many helpful hints. The source hint was probably my most favorite I use that more out of everything. This is something I won’t ever forget I will always use it. Overall I felt I learned a lot from this unit. I enjoyed building the website that was a fun new experience.

Here is a link to my website enjoy! http://pcvsmacwhichoneisbetter.weebly.com/
For some reason the internet linking is not working sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment