Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Final Portfolio

During the semester’s English 102 course, I have become a much more improved writer and have gained a lot of knowledge about the whole writing process and what it’s all about. I really enjoyed this English class for a few different reasons, I thought that it was much different from the other English classes that I have taken, which made it much more interesting and a lot more fun to learn.  The Service Learning Project during this course had a huge impact on my learning process during this class; it really opened my eyes about how much of an impact volunteering for the different agencies has on the community and the others involved.
At the start of this semester, I was a very inexperienced writer and had much room for improvement. As we began to go into depth on the college level writing process, I began to get much more familiarized with what it was all about and found ways in which I could improve my own writing. After much hard work and dedication all throughout the semester, it seems to me that it all paid off and turned out to be a positive learning experience.
 Collaborative learning and having my peers to look at my work, was a major part of improving my writing, it really helped me learn more about how to improve my writing and make it more interesting and fun to read. Having other peers writing on the same topics really allows you to get ideas and helps you to move in the right direction, when you are stuck in your own writing process or just need new ideas. I encountered some major writing difficulties during this class, but as I mentioned before, having your peer’s thoughts and writing styles to look back on, had a huge impact on my own writing and really allowed me to improve.
Making a website, this was a major challenge, but in the end was a success. I have had very little website making experience and this assignment really put my knowledge to the test and allowed me to become more familiar with my service learning agency, gathering research, and making a website in general. Doing research was a major part in the website project, and it allowed me to really learn a lot more about how “hands on learning” impacts those involved. Creating the website, was a very fun way to let our research projects be seen, it made the research part of this assignment much more fun and easy to find topics for my website, rather than writing a traditional research paper.
Service learning was the main focus of this class, which made it very different from any other English class I have had. Having service learning as a main focus of an English class really helps make the class more fun and interesting; it also allows us, students, to encounter different style of learning during an English class. I thought that the service learning was a huge success and made the class much more fun. Interacting with other people that directly involve your service learning partner allows us to really expand in the learning process and do something that directly impacts others, instead of just writing papers and things like that, that a normal English class would encounter.
This English course had many important aspects to it that will directly affect my writing style in the future. I think that after learning how to put research into a website, writing in MLA format, and allowing your writing to flow and make sense will really allow me to really express the different styles of writing characteristics I have achieved during this class and put them to the test in the real world. Learning these new writing styles, helps broaden my writing knowledge which in turn helps me put this new knowledge to the test in a working situation and will allow me to show what skills I have gained and how they can be used.
Overall, I think that this was a good class and really allowed me to broaden my views on the writing process and what it’s all about. We went into depth on topics I wasn’t really that familiar with, but after working towards the goal of learning these new writing styles at a college level, I think that I have become much more advanced in my writing.

http://howdostudentslearnbest.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment