Monday, March 14, 2011

Website Proposal (final draft)

The audience for my website would be any person, adult or minor, interested in the cultural effects on education and child development. A high school education and an ability to connect information and analyze research themselves are the only requirements of visitors to understand the message of this website. The target audience would be those directly involved with the topic of child education and how our culture affects it: namely teachers, parents, students and legislators. Specific amongst these groups are people who need a resource which supports the idea of reforming our entire approach to child education. Our cultural mentality of “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” is in direct conflict with the objectives of this website, because those who adhere to that system refuse to see its ineffectiveness.

Since I am targeting a specific group of people in this debate over how best to educate our children, I plan on orienting the discussion towards favoring an entirely new direction with how children receive an education: the environment, the curriculum, even the idea of testing. Most of the audience would be in favor of some aspect of these reforms; however I know that there will be those who disagree with some or all of the ideas presented. As such this website will not have overly bold statements, denouncing rhetoric, or silly solutions to difficult problems. It will be well laid out and direct, with as much legitimate evidence as I can find. The cultural idea of our educational system I believe to be out dated and one which needs to be replaced if the US is to be an intellectually competitive country in the future. That is the main purpose of this website and one to which I will make the case for.

I plan on the design being simple, with several categories separated onto different pages. Each linked together with a similar ideology. The supporting evidence will also be present on each page as well as links to those references. Pictures are a powerful conveyor of ideas as a visual medium and will be used frequently to demonstrate and underscore each pages message.

3 comments:

  1. Jason:

    Good work here. Some notes (I quote relevant passages, then comment on them).

    -- "The audience for my website would be any person, adult or minor, interested in the cultural effects on education and child development."-- Followed by, "The target audience would be those directly involved with the topic of child education and how our culture affects it: namely teachers, parents, students and legislators. "-- these two statements seem to be at cross purposes? Also, is your audience too vast? Who would be most interested in the results of your research, as opposed to just interested?

    -- "however I know that there will be those who disagree with some or all of the ideas presented." This is good. Having resistant readers can, in many cases, make your work more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its difficult to narrow down my audience to one genre. Probably because I find this topic so interesting myself, I cant think anyone else wouldn't. if I had to, I would say that the real audience target is teachers and parents. Educated individuals who have a personal stake in the results I find from my research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clarification! Focusing on a specific audience or two doesn't preclude you from communicating with other audiences as well. It's just a question of emphasis. So with this in mind, I agree with your thinking.

    ReplyDelete